TMJ disorder or temporomandibular joint disorder is the dysfunction of your jaw joint. This joint connects the jawbone to the skull. The temporomandibular joint helps the mobility of the jaw while you speak, yawn, bite and chew. TMJ disorder is one of the most commonly undiagnosed issues that adults face, simply for the reason that people may not know that they have it.
Unfortunately, there are several disorders that can affect the joint. These can be caused by:
- Imbalance of the jaws
- Teeth clenching or grinding
- A breakdown of the cartilage in the joint
- Misaligned bite.
Consequently, when these joints are not aligned the nerves become irritated, muscles fatigued, and a host of painful symptoms can arise.
TMJ disorder can create symptoms such as:
- Headaches and earaches
- Jaw clicking and jaw locking
- Ringing in the ears
- Facial and neck pain
- Difficulty opening and closing the mouth
- Difficulty / pain when chewing and swallowing.
If you suffer continuously from any of the above symptoms, we recommend that you make an appointment with us at Haberfield Dental Practice. If diagnosed with TMJ disorder, we can create a customised treatment plan designed to give you the most effective results possible.
Treatment options may include:
- Wearing a customised oral appliance such as a night guard or occlusal splint to eliminate grinding and to properly position the jaw
- Restorative dental care such as building up worn teeth to restore the proper bite
- Oral surgery.
If diagnosed with TMJ disorder, we can create a customised treatment plan designed to give you the most effective results possible.
Ready to transform your smile?
Following a friendly discussion with you about your goals and budget, our expert dental team will offer a personalised strategy for your smile transformation.