If you’re researching ways to enhance and straighten your smile, it’s likely you’ve already come across the term ‘Invisalign’ several times. That’s because it is one of the most popular ways to beautify your smile and straighten your teeth.
For people with mild to moderately crooked or misaligned teeth, it might be a suitable option for improving your smile and, in turn, boosting your self-confidence. This is also often a preferred solution for patients with relatively minor bite, space, and crowding issues. The quick treatment time and effective results make it a common choice for straightening and enhancing a smile.
So, if you’ve heard a lot about how fantastic and highly regarded Invisalign and clear aligners are, you might be wondering what it actually is and how it works. Thankfully, your dentist can answer all your questions in relation to Invisalign. For more specific information and advice tailored to your unique circumstances, you can reach out to your dentist and book in for a one-on-one consultation with your dental professional.
What exactly is Invisalign?
It is a type of cosmetic dental treatment that ultimately straightens your teeth and improves your smile. The treatment process involves using sets of clear, removable aligners to gradually adjust the position of your teeth over time. The aligners are custom designed to provide a transformative roadmap for your teeth realigning.
It uses the latest technology to manufacture customised clear aligners that will eventually manoeuvre your teeth into ideal positions. You will essentially wear the aligners 20 to 22 hours daily and, thanks to their design, they will adjust your teeth into line. It’s entirely safe and has been used by thousands of Australians looking to improve their smile and appearance. The results are extremely effective and long-lasting, and many patients report improved wellbeing after the treatment.
If you are interested in it as a treatment option, here are some of the steps you may need to take in the process:
1. Have a consultation with your dentist near by.
To kick things off, you will need to book a consultation with your dentist. During this consultation, your dentist will chat about your goals and examine your mouth. They may also need to conduct x-rays to understand the exact condition of your mouth and whether you are a suitable candidate for Invisalign. This is also an opportunity for you to better understand the cost implications and realistic timeframes for your treatment.
2. Undertake x-rays for development of your clear aligners.
Once your dental professional has determined that you are a suitable candidate for clear aligners, they may need to take x-rays, impressions or other scans which will be used to develop your customised aligners. This step is important, because the aligners need to be custom-made to fit the exact dimensions of your teeth. Don’t worry – your dentist will help you through this minimally-invasive process. Once the scans are taken, they will be sent off to the lab where your aligners will be crafted.
3. Regularly check in with your dentist to receive your next set of clear aligners.
Your dentist will establish regular appointments with you to see how your treatment is progressing and provide your next sets of clear aligners. Each set of aligners will move your teeth further towards their ideal position. Generally, you will wear a certain set of aligners for a two-week period before moving onto the next. However, the exact schedule and timeline for your aligners will be unique to you, and your dentist will be able to provide further details.
Most Invisalign treatments are completed within around 12 months. However, this will depend entirely on the condition of your smile and how much movement needs to occur. Your dentist will be able to give a more accurate estimation of how long your treatment time will be.
4. Achieve a straighter smile
You will generally be advised to wear your clear aligners around the clock, except for when eating or drinking. Eventually, the sets of clear aligners will straighten your teeth into their ideal position. When your dentist and you are both satisfied, you’ll be able to remove the clear aligners for good. It really is as simple as that!
What are the benefits of using Invisalign?
There are many reasons why clear aligner continues to rise in popularity. When compared with other cosmetic dental treatments, there are a number of factors that make Invisalign appealing.
Some of the benefits of using this treatment option include:
- The treatment is minimally invasive, and it’s known for not causing any pain or significant discomfort in the mouth
- The aligners used in the process are clear, which means they are barely noticeable when worn
- It is a completely safe treatment method
- The Invisalign smile straightening journey can be commenced at your local dentist, meaning it is a very convenient process
- The results from Invisalign are extremely effective, and can help you to achieve your desired appearance
- You’ll end up with a long lasting and wonderfully bright and healthy smile
- It can eventually improve your gum health, chewing and speech, as well as putting less pressure on your supporting bone and jaw joints
- It has a relatively fast treatment time, with most treatments being completed in around 12 months (however, this will depend on your unique circumstances).
How Invisalign works?
- Consultation and Treatment Planning:
- The process begins with a consultation with an orthodontic professional. During this appointment, the orthodontist assesses your teeth, takes digital scans or impressions, and discusses your treatment goals.
- 3D Digital Treatment Plan:
- Invisalign utilizes advanced 3D computer imaging technology to create a customized treatment plan. The orthodontist uses these digital models to map out the movement of your teeth throughout the entire treatment.
- Customized Aligners:
- Based on the treatment plan, a series of custom-made, clear plastic aligners are created specifically for your teeth. These aligners are designed to gradually move your teeth into the desired positions over time.
- Wearing the Aligners:
- You’ll receive a series of aligners, each to be worn for about one to two weeks. The aligners are removable, but for optimal results, they should be worn for 20 to 22 hours per day. You can remove them for eating, drinking (except for water), brushing, and flossing.
- Regular Check-ups:
- Throughout the treatment, you’ll have periodic check-ups with your orthodontist to monitor your progress. New sets of aligners are provided during these appointments to continue the gradual adjustment of your teeth.
- Treatment Completion:
- Once you’ve gone through the entire series of aligners, your treatment is complete. However, it’s common for some patients to wear a retainer, especially at night, to help maintain the new tooth positions.
Key Features of Invisalign:
Removability: Invisalign aligners are removable, allowing for easier cleaning of both the aligners and your teeth. This feature also means you can enjoy your regular diet without restrictions.
Comfort: The aligners are made of smooth, comfortable plastic, reducing the likelihood of irritation to the cheeks and gums compared to traditional braces.
Invisibility: The clear plastic aligners are nearly invisible, providing a more discreet option for those who may be self-conscious about wearing braces.
Customization: The treatment plan is highly customized based on your specific dental needs, and the aligners are tailored to fit your teeth precisely.
If you have more questions about Invisalign, Haberfield dental practice can be a trustworthy partner in providing additional information related to it.